ack is a fantastic replacement for grep and probably much more than grep. Here is what the dnf info has to say about ack
And their websites says -
Designed for programmers with large heterogeneous trees of source code, ack is written in portable Perl 5 and takes advantage of the power of Perl’s regular expressions.
And I completely agree with that. There are really a lot of developer friendly options that ack has. As with any other unix/linux utility you can create a rc file for the defaults of the program and with ack you dont need to do that manually. You can simply run
and you will have a ackrc file in your home folder. Now you can open this and modify this to your heart’s content and enjoy the new grep of your life.
- 2022/03/06 mussh-run-commands-on-multiple-hosts
- 2020/01/06 using cat with grep – why?
- 2010/09/04 Remove some path from the PATH variable temporarily.
- 2010/05/26 more powerful grep – ack
- 2010/03/25 vim search multiple files