Deleting all mails in the N900 (Maemo 5) permanently

Well couple of days back, I checked the folder details of one of my accounts configured on the N900 (Maemo 5) and it was showing some 1000 or more emails, whereas I had only 4-5 emails in the Inbox so where are the other emails and how to I get rid of them. This was causing the mail application to become a little slower than usual so do I live with it, I decided not to do so and thus found out how to delete all the mails.

For a handheld, I use the mail only to get the mails and reply them immediately. I do not keep the mails for future 🙂 . If you are one of my kind then you can follow on but if you want to keep any of the mails then DO NOT FOLLOW.

Open a terminal, and then do the following:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
cd ~/.modest/cache/mail/pop/

cd <pop account directory>

rm -f summary.mmap

cd cache

rm -fr *

Once again, note that this will delete ALL the emails and not just selective ones, so be careful.

Remeber not to delete the other files…

And if you are lazy just like me then you can copy paste the below script and run it from terminal whenever you want 🙂

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
cd /home/user/.modest/cache/mail/pop/
for i in *
do
cd $i
pwd
rm -rf cache/*
rm -fr summary.mmap
cd -
done

🙂

Enhanced by Zemanta

N900 starts showing junk characters

Well, sometime back I bought N900, some snaps here. And sooner than later I started playing with it. In an effort to reduce the disk usage for the “/” (root) partition, I removed some packages that were taking too much of space and managed to get the mobile to a stage where a lot of applications started displaying strange and junk characters and also cannot use package manager any more…errors reported.

To fix, this there was not solution that I could find on the net and thus started searching for a solution on my own. Finally found that that locales package was missing so what you need to do is following, in case you manage to get to similar state 🙂

Open a x-terminal on your Maemo based N900 and issue the following command:

1
apt-get install posix-locales

This should fix the issue.

Edit : Fixed the issue with the command not properly displayed in the blog post.

Enhanced by Zemanta