unbound variable – bash completion not working and having issues with other stuff like command not found.

I generally use vi/vim for all my practical purposes of working with text files. And I have all the vi/vim plugins required to work with the files. This causes the following to be in the skeleton for all the bash scripts that I create:

set -o nounset                              # Treat unset variables as an error

With this all the unbound variables as errors and was problem with all the shell scripts that was being sourced in the startup of bash. So all I had to do was remove this from all the startup scripts and then from the skeleton of the bash script in vim :).

The solution is quite easy but finding this was really a tough task.

Packagekit Error

With the latest update on my Fedora 10(F10) I started getting this error when ever I wanted to use the gnome package kit (I was able to use yum though):
failed to get a TID: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface \”org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction\” member \”SetLocale\” error name \”(unset)\” destination \”org.freedesktop.PackageKit\”) (0)

I searched couple of forums but did not find any good resource on what was happening. Finally I decided to rollback Packagekit and dbus. And Yahoooooooooooo, it started working again.

So here\’s what I did to get my system back

rpm -e –nodeps dbus* *package*
yum –disablerepo=updates install gnome-packagekit dbus dbus-libs

internal error from PackageKit — packagekit Error Type:

If you get the below error then there is a bug files here.

Error Type:
Error Value: \’NoneType\’ object is unsubscriptable
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 2280, in

main()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 2277, in main
backend.dispatcher(sys.argv[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 600, in
dispatcher
self.dispatch_command(args[0], args[1:])
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line 526, in
dispatch_command
self.refresh_cache()
File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yumBackend.py, line 1130, in
refresh_cache
self.yumbase.repos.populateSack(which=[repo.id], mdtype=\’metadata\’,
cacheonly=1)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py, line 223, in
populateSack
self.doSetup()
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/repos.py, line 71, in doSetup
self.ayum.plugins.run(\’postreposetup\’)
File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py, line 178, in run
func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
File : /usr/lib/yum-plugins/rpm-warm-cache.py, line 31, in postreposetup_hook
if commands[0] in (\’upgrade\’, \’install\’, \’remove\’):

And the solution is simply to remove:

yum-rpm-warm-cache with command:

yum remove yum-rpm-warm-cache