[Solution] Solaris issue with wget not resolving Domain name (DNS name lookup failure)

Today I was working with Solaris and after I had set up the NIS+, DNS server, IP Address and completing the basic setting. I was using the pkg-get util from the freesunware.com

The utility was using wget and it was failing constantly. From the looks of it, it was very clear that the wget utility was unable to find the IP address from the name. Name resolution was not happening, while dig and nslookup was able to do the DNS lookup.

After searching for quite sometime all that I could see was, in one of the forums, \”Did you have NIS enabled?\”

That seemed interesting and thus I got the direction to look for where I can find the solution. And finally I found that in \”nsswitch.conf\” there were settings to find how the various lookups should happen.

For the host entry, I saw that after looking at the nis the lookup would end so I changed the sequence to look at \”files dns\” also and then quit. And it worked. Hope it helps you too 🙂


Solved — Errors with afraid-dyndns in Goddard (Fedora 13)

Since I updated to the Fedora 13, I was getting error from the Dynamic DNS client for afraid. I was not getting enough time to fix this, so finally I decided to fix this in the night itself 🙂

On running


I was getting the error:

Entity: line 100: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: br line 99 and div

Entity: line 118: parser error : Entity \’copy\’ not defined
© 2010 DomainTools, LLC All rights reserved.
Entity: line 121: parser error : AttValue: \” or \’ expected
/link/?id=4668\’;} return(true);\”>\"\"\"\"

So here is the solution :

On further investigation I found that the issue was not with the afraid server but with getting the external IP. So I decided to use my own site to get the IP. And changed the following in the afraid-dyndns file:

Comment out the following code:

#$xml = get(\”http://ip-address.domaintools.com/myip.xml\”);
#die \”Failed fetching IP address!\” unless $xml;
#echo (\”Got IP:\”. $xml);

#$o = XMLin($xml);
#$extip = $o->{proxy_ip}; # external address

And add the following line just below the just commented lines:

$extip = get(\”http://amit-agarwal.co.in/mystuff/getip_txt.php\”);
$extip =~ s/\\n//;

This change be sufficient to get you going again.. 🙂


Afraid Dynamic DNS client in Fedora with Email indicating the changed to original IP.

Image via CrunchBase

If you have your domain in the Dynamic DNS located at : Freedns then you know how difficult it is to get the Dynamic DNS client to work with Fedora. Not that it does not work, but you need to configure it properly and there are lot of parameters. But not any more. Now you can install the afraid Dynamic DNS client and just put your Account Hash in the config file and you are ready with the setup to update the DNS entry whenever your IP changes. So lets get started:

sudo yum install afraid-dyndns

Once installed, go to the website and get your account hash and configure the same in the config file located in /etc. File name is /etc/afraid-dyndns.conf

All\’s well till now, but when the Email comes indicating that the IP has been refreshed, there is no other information other than the fact that the IP is refreshed. The previous and the new IP are not there in the mail. So lets fix that so that the same are included.

sudo vi `which afraid-dyndns`

You will get the file that actually updates the Dynamic DNS entry. This is a perl script so should be simple to modify. In my case on Line 117 onwards is the one that we want to modify.

To => $ARGV{Notify},
Subject => \”IP address change from $intip => $extip\”,
Data => \”Dynamic DNS has been refreshed $intip => $extip\”

We will add the part in Fuchisia to add the Previous and current IP in the subject and the body of the mail. So you are done.

Note: You would need the perl MIME lite module for the email to work. The package is not in the requires list and thus will not be automatically installed, so you need to install the module so that mails work for you.