Here is a short description of pigz:
pigz, which stands for parallel implementation of gzip,
is a fully functional replacement for gzip that exploits
multiple processors and multiple cores to the hilt when compressing data.
And for the installation:
sudo yum install pigz
With pigz, if you don’t have many things running on your multi processor machine then you will see a significant improvement when you are gzipping the files.
- 2012/02/21 glances – Get a glimpse of the whole system
- 2011/08/03 Installing Full Blin g theme on N900
- 2011/02/06 bash regular expressions
- 2010/09/07 OpenID for non-SuperUsers
- 2010/08/02 when you press f9 ‘paste’ is on , press f9 again and ‘paste’ is off, and so forth (works in insert-mode and command-mode)